Skip to main content

2011 BET Awards; Highlights, List of Winners & Who's Hot Who's Not?

So the 2011 BET Awards is now a wrap. Check out performance highlights, the list of winners, Kevin Hart funny moments and see who was hot and who was not.

Funny Moments
This years host, Kevin Hart had me dying laughing from the moment he stepped on stage with his kid fraternity and started stepping. He is hands down the best host to do it on the BET Awards.

His theme throughout the night was being a 'No Man' for his friends in the audience, by telling them things that no one else will. Check out some of Kevin Hart's funny lines:

Kevin Hart and Chris Brown
All photos by Getty Images
"Take your hat off Neyo, never mind, false alarm, leave it on! ... I saw his head in Stomp the Yard!!!"

"Trey Songz, stop taking your shirt off, you look like a beige greyhound."

"Rick if you're going to come out and open your shirt you have to put a sports bra on."

"Kelly, your performance was amazing. That's not the pervert in me talking."

Kevin also said he has a guilty pleasure for reality shows like Basketball Wives and The Real Housewives. He then created a skit called "Real Husbands of Hollywood" which was extra funny. The skit included him, Bobby Brown, Nelly, Nick Cannon and Jermaine Dupri.

Tami from Basketball Wives even came out and made a cameo in the skit as Kevin's girl. She acted the same loud way like she does on her show. And did anybody peep the "Non-Factor" t-shirt that Kevin was wearing earlier in the skit? Lol.

Kevin Hart even introduced himself as Chocolate Drop a gangsta rapper and he looked so short standing next to Wiz Khalifa, lol.

Another funny moment: A bunch of "Team Barbie's" and "Team Bieber's" joined Justin Bieber and Nicki Minaj in presenting "Best Male Hip Hop Artist." It was Justin's first time on the BET Awards and his skit with Nicki was funny as Justin told Nicki he's turning 18 soon so wassup. She then asked if he can drive and if he can handle curves. He responded, "Yes I can!" 

Performances

Opening up this years award show was the lovely Mary J. Blige kicking it off with one of her hit singles "All Night Long" and a medly of some of her other classic songs. She then brought out the one and only Anita Baker and the two sung "Caught Up in the Rapture."

She also premiered one of her new songs featuring Jadakiss and DJ Khaled “It Ain’t Over Till It’s Over."

There was talk months before the awards show that Alicia Keys was opening the show but Mary opened instead.


Hot: Jill Scott performed a little skit as 'Maple' which included the handsome Idris Ilba. Her whole set up was nice and reminiscent of a 50's bar scene.
Drake, Lil Wayne and DJ Khaled perform


Not hot: Rick Ross who just had to show off that belly of his, performed with Lil' Wayne, DJ Khaled and Ace Hood.

I feel like Rick Ross performed a little too much and I had enough of DJ Khaled who needs not to rap. They both were on stage a couple of times tonight along with Lil' Wayne and Drake.

Hot: Chris Brown, won the first award of the evening for "Best Male Artist" and he performed "She Ain't You" in a suit and hammer pants. He then performed "Look at Me Now" bringing out Busta Rhymes who murdered his part.

Chris Brown Performs BET Awards 2011
Chris then ended the performance with killer dance moves incorporating some Michael Jackson moves and back flipping into the walk way by the audience. He also came back out later to sing his hook on Big Sean's song "My Last."

Alicia Keys performed on top of her piano again this year, like last year when she performed a tribute to Prince. She looked like she was a little tired in the face or was it just me that noticed that?

Alicia sung a previously unreleased track "Typewriter." Like Mary J. Blige, Alicia also sung a medley of her older classics; "Woman's Worth" with Bruno Mars and "Fallen." 

Her 10th anniversary CD Songs in a Minor will be re-released on this Tuesday, June 28th.

Johnny Gill made an appearance and said he's releasing a new album on September 20th. It has been 16 years since he released a solo album! Welcome back Johnny.

Kelly Rowland performs
Hot performance check: Trey Songz came out and performed "Love Faces." Of course he didn't listen to Kevin Hart's joke in the beginning and ripped his shirt off anyway during his performance.

"It wouldn't be me if I didn't get a little nasty," he said leading into his performance with "The Usual."

Trey Songz performsThen Kelly Rowland came on and performed "Motivation" which reminded me of an old Janet Jackson performance of "I Get So Lonely." She then switched it to the "Motivation" remix and Trey Songz came back out and Kelly did a sort of strip tease dance around Trey.

Some classic music happened tonight: Alexander O'Neal and Cherrelle performed their 1985 hit "Saturday Love." Mary Mary and Donni McClurkin took us to church with "Thankyou Lord." And then there was the tribute to Patti LaBelle.

Gladys Knight came out to present Patti LaBelle with the "BET Lifetime Achievement Award."

"When anybody asks me who do I want to be like, I always say Patti LaBelle," Beyonce said.

Not Hot: Cee Lo Green came out to open the Patti tribute, wearing an old school Patti wig, looking like a hot mess and he performed "Somebody to Love You Baby."

Cee Lo Green performsHot: Marsha Ambrosius killed her tribute singing "If Only You Knew." Her voice is amazing! 

Gospel queen Shirley Ceasar closed out the tribute and sung the song "You Are My Friend." Then the queen herself took the stage and sung "Love, Need and Want You" and "Lady Marmalade."

I thought Patti was going to kick her heels off while perfoming but she kept the shoes on this time, lol.

Hot: Beyonce performed BET's first international performance at a music festival in England. I wanted her to perform "Run the World" but instead she performed "Best Thing I Never Had" and ended with "End of Time" from her new album '4', in stores this Tuesday, June 28th.

Of course she killed the dance moves and her performance. I do think her Destiny Child sister, Kelly Rowland did much better.

I felt like a couple of people were missing from this years awards show; Rihanna, Usher, Neyo and Keyshia Cole. I would have liked a performance from one of them. All in all, my favorite performance of the night, hands down goes to Kelly Rowland. And overall the show was okay, Kevin Hart made this years awards show.


Winners List & My Picks

Video of the Year
Winner: Chris Brown "Look at me Now"
My Pick: Marsha Ambrosius "Far Away"

Best Male R&B Artist
Winner: Chris Brown, of course, no surprise here.
My Pick: Usher

Best Female R&B Artist
Winner: Rihanna
My Pick: The same

Nicki Minaj accepts best female hip hop artist award at the 2011 BET Awards in Los Angeles June 26, 2011. REUTERS/Mario Anzuoni
Best Female Hip Hop Artist
Winner: Nicki Minaj
My Pick: This was my pick as well.

"Wow, I can't believe I won," Nicki said and the crowd started laughing. I like Diamond as a rapper, but Nicki had no competition in this category at all.

Best Male Hip Hop Artist
Winner: Kanye West
My Pick: Lil' Wayne

Best Group
Winner: Diddy Dirty Money
My Pick: This was my pick as well

Best Collaboration
Winner: Chris Brown feat. Busta Rhymes & Lil' Wayne "Look at Me Now"
My Pick: Yeah, they deserve that.

Best New Artist
Winner: Wiz Khalifa
My Pick: Bruno Mars

Coca Cola's Viewer Choice Award
Winner: Chris Brown feat. Busta Rhymes and Lil' Wayne
My Pick: Rihanna feat. Drake

Centric Award
Winner: Marsha Ambrosius
My Pick: I love her, she deserved it.

Best Actress: Taraji P. Henson
Best Actor: Idris Ilba
Best Movie: For Colored Girls



For a complete list of nominees and winners click HERE. Coming in October is the BET Hip Hop Awards Show, tune in for that this fall. And if you missed this years BET Awards Show, BET will definitely replay it over and over again.

Comments

  1. Yep, Kelly Rowland's performance was a rip off of Janet Jackson's I Get Lonely, but Kelly is a really big fan of Janet so I don't mine she always site Janet as being her inspiration unlike Beyonce who has ripped off many things from the "Goddess" Mizz Jackson but fail to give Janet credit. Beyonce dance moves tonight was normal nothing new, the crowd at BET was not even feeling her.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Add your comments and thoughts below and click 'subscribe by email' button to receive follow up responses and other comments on this post.